How dog breeders have “improved” breeds over the past 100 years.
- The basset hound never used to sit so low. The dog has suffered changes to his rear leg structure, has excessive skin, vertebrae problems, droopy eyes that are prone to ectropion and entropion, and excessively large ears.
- The bull terrier used to be an athletic dog, but over the years his snout was mutated to be oversized and bending downwards, leading to respiratory issues. Many bull terriers have supernumerary teeth and are compulsive tail chasers and air biters owing to brain deformities.
- The boxer now has a much shorter face with an extremely short snout. The hindquarters are also lower. Like all brachycephalic dogs, the boxer has difficulty controlling his temperature in hot weather, meaning they are prone to overheating and collapsing in the summer. The boxer also has one of the highest cancer rates among dog breeds and many modern day boxers suffer from seizures.
- The english bulldog has evolved into a creature that suffers from almost every known disease. A kennel club survey conducted in 2004 found that they die on average at only 6 years and 4 months old. They cannot mate without human intervention, and cannot give birth naturally due to their giant heads. There is no such thing as a truly healthy bulldog.
- The dachshund, at one time, used to have functional legs and necks for their size. Their backs and legs have gotten longer, chest jutted forward, and legs have shrunk to such proportions that there is barely any clearance between their chest and the floor. Obese dachshunds usually have to actually drag their bellies across the ground. Their risk for intervertebral disc disease - which can result in paralysis - is extremely high. They are also prone to achrondoplastic related pathologies, progressive retinal apathy, and problems with their legs and joints.
- Pugs are the most inbred breed of dog in existence - an investigation carried out found that amongst the 10,000 pugs found in the UK are so inbred, the gene pool consists of the equivalent of only 50 individuals. They are extremely brachycephalic, and suffer severely from all the associated problems - the folds in their face frequently get infected, they struggle to breathe (making snoring/snorting/huffing noises even without moving), they have high blood pressure, low oxygenation, often collapse and die in the summer or if allowed to overheat, dentition problems due to their skulls being so curled in, and perhaps most shocking - their double curled tail is actually a genetic defect, and in its most serious forms leads to paralysis and many dogs needed a wheelchair or being euthanised if this progresses. These dogs are usually culled if they fail to produce this ‘attractive’ trait.
Healthy puppies that do not succumb to these ridiculous modern day breed standards are usually culled. One very heartbreaking example is the rhodesian ridgeback. The ridge is actually a genetic deformity - a mild form of spinal bifida - and puppies born without this ridge are healthy - but since the ridge is their namesake, healthy puppies are normally culled at birth and only those with noticeable ridges are bred from, thus passing the disability down to future dogs. Below is a ridgeback alongside a healthy, ridgeless dog.
3 to 4 million dogs and cats are killed every year because shelters are too full…. people are choosing to buy from breeders or shops instead of offering them a home.
Homeless animals outnumber homeless people by 5:1.
Only 1 in 10 dogs will ever find a permanent home.
25 PER CENT OF DOGS THAT ENTER SHELTERS ARE PUREBREEDS.
Please consider adopting a homeless dog. Please don’t encourage breeding these animals when there are so many being killed every year. Breeding is a profit, not “just” a hobby, and even if you think your breeder is reputable, they are still churning out puppies into a world where pets are seen as disposable.
This post is EXTREMELY important and I want all of you to read it.
NEVER buy a dog. Adoption should be your only option.
this is the “dark side” of all the cute puppy gifs on tumblr. I am not being hyperbolic, thought I know that, to a society that normalizes the subjugation and objectification of animals, even the animals we see as our “friends, buddies, and companions”, that it sounds like I’m making a grandiose ironic statement. But I’m not. Lots of people, good, critical people who feel they are spot-on with their ethics post pet-admiration images with the feeling that they’re innocent images. They might make fond affirmations that they want a purebreed; even if it’s not couched in “status” terms like purebreed, they name it. Some folks will get antsy over using a word like “objectify” towards a dog, but really, when we breed dogs, set standards for dogs, that we KNOW are harmful to their overall health, but “oh it’s cute!” and “that’s the way they are SUPPOSED to look!”, with breeds having “trends” in popularity..how can you not acknowledge that we treat dogs [and other animals] as objects in our culture? Objects to amuse ourselves, objects who’s every living moment depends on ours. They’re living beings, who deserve to live lives free of pain, who’s species should be allowed to be genetically diverse and healthy, who shouldn’t live shorter lives than their ancestors 100 years ago! WE made them this way and WE should be firm that WE are solely responsible for any suffering they go through.
I’m not against pets. I’m just against ignorance and hubris.
Plz adopt & rescue; spay and neuter your pets.
Minnie Mou$$e & her friends, including Obama, Son Goku, those Veil Knight dudes, and a Thick-Glasses-Excitable-Boy?
but seriously though, thickglassesexictableboy.
ahh no really, i just sorted my taskbar [taking off the huge amount of pinned art programs and multiple writing programs and putting each into it’s own folder and making the folders toolbars] and really
I’m getting headtingles all ASMR style. I thought it was just from “stepping back and looking at my work” the first time, but now I’ve done it about a dozen times and still…!
it’ll wear off eventually. it’s probably compounded by my clearing off my desk top, too, as i loathe to clutter it. it makes me feel like I have a grip on things. 8|
Toya Tenice in the Cemetery - MASTER POST
Model - Toya Tenice
Photographer - yours truly
Makeup, styling - done by the both of us
Location - I.O.O.F. Cemetery in Georgetown, TX
I met Toya at work about a year and a half ago. She didn’t like me at first, but I won her over. Her desire to model came up in conversation at work and we scheduled an impromptu shoot that same week. Those are still some of my favorite photos. We no longer work together, but luckily have kept in contact so that I have someone nearby that will let me talk them into crazy ideas like shooting in a cemetery on a Saturday morning. Her modeling improves every time I photograph her. I know this girl is going places.
ONLY DAYS LEFT TO RAISE FUNDS, URGENT LIFE OR DEATH HELP NEEDED ONE LAST TIME
Tumblr friends. You all saved my life. Unfortunately I need help one last time to keep it that way.You helped me pay down a hospital bill so I could have major brain surgery in October. Well, the bill for that is $9,600- Medicaid covered the hospital, NOT the doctor(!!). due to financial hardship, it’s reduced to $4,500.
The problem: the doctor HAS TO adjust and monitor my new neuro implant every other week, and I WILL DIE WITHOUT THE ADJUSTMENTS. But he is NOT ALLOWED to see me more than once more unless this is paid.
The reduction has conditions: I must pay $1,000 by Dec 16, the$3,500 balance by Dec 23.
This is a terrible blow to me, unreal. I can’t stop crying in sheer frustration.
So, sadly, I must ask for help one least time (I can get on Free Care in April). You’ve all already been so generous. The SPNFamily, and Tumblr at large has been amazing. And if there were any way to avoid asking, I would.
PLEASE DONATE IF YOU CAN! I’ve set up a PayPal with the email email@example.com to accept funds (if you “send to a friend” there’s no fee). The hospital can only accept payment from me.
I know the Holidays are already an expensive time. Maybe give someone the gift of saving a life in their name? And I know I recently got so much help from you all. If I had any way to avoid this I would. And of course I’m happy to repay with fics, songs, editing, or anything I can.
As it is I’m also homeless and sometimes staying with my violent abusive parents, other times staying with friends. Every cent I get is going to other medical expenses and necessities.
PLEASE SHARE THIS as far and wide as you can! Share it as text so everyone can read and share again. Whether or not you can give, others may be able to.
Thank you all so so much! Below are some photos just to show what I mean. They called me with the settlement, but the original bill is there, as well as a few of my scars (yes they shaved the whole side of my head).
Thank you again! PLEASE DONATE AND SHARE IF YOU CAN, and ask me any questions.
Sopranish is my friend, and I’ve personally witnessed the reality of her struggles, so I can vouch for both the urgency and the legitimacy of this plea for help. She is on a time crunch and really scared, so any shares or donations would be so, so appreciated. Every little thing helps!!
hey i don’t know this persn but for real though. Signal Boost.
Thanks, Molly and bunny Wendell!
sometimes I feel self conscious of reblogging things. I’m like: